One of Des Moines’ oldest churches, St. John’s Lutheran Church at 600 Sixth Avenue turns 150 years old.
Read more about how this church has weathered both social and religious storms to remain in the city for good!
* First organized in 1865, St. John’s originally sat where the Ruan building sits today.
* A yearlong celebration is planned.
* Called first female senior pastor to the pulpit in 2005.
* As downtown living trends upward, St. John’s is a church home to urban residents.
* Church serves the underserved of the urban community (ASAP arts program, The Bridge).