A: The game is on! This time of year we are all following football and thinking game changers. So what are the top game changers in the way dental patients are cared for today?
• Technology. Machines can now take impressions, make virtual models, fabricate restorations and treat dental disease. Digital X-rays are cleaner, safer and last longer.
• Bonding. The resulting cosmetic dental revolution has literally put a new face on dentistry.
• Composites Tooth-colored restorative materials threaten to completely replace silver mercury fillings.
• Lasers. Lasers provide a way to remove dental decay without use of a traditional injections, assist in treating periodontal disease and removing bacteria on the gums and teeth and can be used to perform soft tissue surgeries that are much more conservative and pain-free.
• The oral-systemic connection. Today’s dentist has the responsibility for management of the most common inflammatory process of the body – gum disease. We now know more regarding “whole body” benefits of good oral health.
Information provided by Dr. Amie Rockow-Nelson, Ames Center for Cosmetic and Family Dentistry, 415 S. Duff, Suite D, Ames, 515-956-3700.