A: Allergy season is here again. One in four kids have allergies. Two million school days are lost because of allergy symptoms. Even when attending school, the child may be limited in his or her physical activities and/or concentration due to allergies.
The good news is that safe and effective natural options exist. Holistic approaches can help to address not only the symptoms but the underlying susceptibility to allergic reactions as well.
Here are some of our favorite recommendations for allergy sufferers.
• Diet. Remove wheat, dairy, artificial coloring and high fructose corn syrup.
• Stabilize blood sugar. Balance out protein and carbohydrates.
• Herbs. Echinacea, nettles.
• Essential oils. Roman chamomile, lavender, geranium, tea tree, lemon.
• Lymphatic massage (see demo video on YFC’s Facebook page), six drops into bathtub, two drops into lotion, use in a diffuser.
• Multi-vitamin, multi-mineral, probiotics, omega 3 fatty acids, water/ hydration, warm fluids/teas, neti pot with non-iodized salt.
• Yoga postures, stretching
• Chiropractic care. By releasing stress on the nervous system, chiropractic permits the immune system to function more effectively.
Information submitted by Dr. Heather Yost, DC, DACCP, Yost Family Chiropractic, 3993 100th St., Urbandale, www.YostFamilyChiropractic.com, 278-YOST.