Thursday, May 13, 2021

Join our email blast

Q: My elderly mother lives with us. We help pay for some of her care. What tax deductions apply for credit?

Posted March 19, 2014 in Advice Column, Ankeny

A: Many of us are very aware that this is tax season, but do we all really know what deductions we can make? Many are surprised to hear that you can deduct some of the costs that add up from caring for your elderly loved one.

Keeping track of your mileage from the doctor’s office to your home or an out of town trip to a specialist can be deducted. If lodging has to be made you can expect around a $50 return for each night you have to stay. You can also expect around about 24 cents to the mile for the travel of a dependant elderly.

Any home improvements you have to make to your home such as a wheel chair ramp or walk-in shower can all be added up to receive about 10 percent of the total cost back with the exception of anything energy efficient, which would give you a more rounded 30 percent back.

Many of us never stop to look at what might be helpful to us in the long run. Talk with your local CPA about other deductions that may be applicable and/or regulations. Keeping tabs and tally of what you spend or do can drastically help your pocket book come tax time.

Information provided by Chelsea Spear, At-Home Care Company, 1513 N. Ankeny Blvd., Suite 4, Ankeny, 515-963-4410.


Post a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *