A: Seafood is a delicious and easy way to improve and maintain your health, especially your heart health. The American Heart Association recommends consuming fish two times per week with servings of 3.5 ounces or about ¾ cup of flaked fish. Fatty fish tend to be higher in omega-3 fatty acids which have several health benefits that may reduce your risk of cardiovascular disease, reduce inflammation and assist with brain function. These fish include salmon, albacore tuna, mackerel, sardines, lake trout and herring.
Fish offer a good source of protein while having a low amount of saturated fat. Enjoy your fish in a variety of delicious, healthy ways:
• Marinate and grill in aluminum foil.
• Use in tacos and casseroles instead of beef or chicken.
• Use in sandwiches and salads for a lean protein.
• Pan-fry in a small amount of olive oil with favorite herbs and seasonings.
• Use in a stir-fry with your favorite vegetables.
• Incorporate into a light pasta dish.
• Use in your favorite soup and stew recipes.
Information provided by Nicole Arnold, Hy-Vee, 3800 Lincoln Way, Ames, 515-292-5543, firstname.lastname@example.org.