An estimated 100,000 thunderstorms occur in the U.S. each year according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Association (NOAA), and around 10 percent of those reach severe levels.
A number of dangerous weather conditions are associated with thunderstorms including hail, wind gust, lightning, flash floods and tornadoes. Before wicked weather strikes, these tips can help you be prepared.
• Know the difference between a watch and a warning. As you see and hear the weather alerts sounding on the television or radio, be sure everyone in your family knows how to respond.
• Develop a family emergency plan. Your family may not be together when wicked weather occurs, so develop a family emergency plan in advance. Discuss how your family will make contact in different situations.
• Designate a safe area. Depending on the type of weather or disaster, designate a specific safe place for family members to gather, and don’t forget your pets. If severe weather is approaching, take shelter on the lowest level of your home in a room without windows.
• Take inventory of your belongings. Create a list of valuable items in your home such as electronics, appliances, furnishings and collectibles. An online home inventory can help you note the contents of your home and their value.
• Put together a disaster supply kit. Before wicked weather hits, take time to put together items you might need in case of disaster. Some recommendations include a flashlight, batteries, bottled water, first-aid kit, radio, and blankets.
• Review your insurance with your agent. Make sure you have the coverage you’ll need to meet your needs should a disaster occur.
As part of your wicked weather preparedness, contact your agent to make sure your insurance is up to date. Access our online home inventory kit, disaster supply kit and learn more about steps you can take to minimize your severe weather risks at www.FBFS.com/weather.
Tips brought to you by Farm Bureau Financial Services. For more information about products and services, call Scot Clark at (515) 462-4774.
Securities & services offered through FBL Marketing Services, LLC+, 5400 University Ave., West Des Moines, IA 50266, 877/860-2904, Members SIPC. Farm Bureau Property & Casualty Insurance Company+*, Western Agricultural Insurance Company+*, Farm Bureau Life Insurance Company+*/West Des Moines, IA.+Affiliates *Company providers of Farm Bureau Financial Services.
Information provided by Scot Clark, Farm Bureau Financial Services, 115 W. Court, Winterset, 462-4774, scotclark.fbfs.com.