This recipe is a little twist on a vegetable and chicken stir fry. The quinoa is lighter than rice and not as sticky. Quinoa has more protein than rice also. You can add more balsamic vinegar to the sauce at the end if you like a more pronounced flavor and sweetness. If finding baby bok choy presents a problem, substitute one cup of shredded cabbage.
Quinoa with chicken and mushrooms
- 2 chicken breasts, skinned and deboned
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 head of broccoli, separated into florets
- 1 head of baby bok choy, chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 4-5 button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon light olive oil
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3 cups of chicken broth
- 1 cup quinoa
- In a shallow bowl, combine the balsamic vinegar, olive oil, garlic powder, salt and onion powder. Whisk to combine. Slice the chicken into strips and marinate the chicken in the balsamic vinegar combination for at least one hour or overnight.
- In a saucepan, pour 2 cups of chicken broth and 1 cup of quinoa. Add a little salt and bring to a boil. Cover the saucepan and cook for 5 minutes. Turn off the heat and keep the pan covered. The quinoa will be done when the broth is absorbed.
- In a large skillet, melt the butter and add the one tablespoon of light olive oil. Saute the chicken strips until they are done and remove them to a casserole dish. Leave the oil in the pan. In that same pan, saute the onion, broccoli, mushrooms and bok choy until all the vegetables are crisp tender.
- In a mixing bowl, stir the cornstarch into the remaining cup of broth and the marinade. Whisk till smooth. With a large spoon, move the vegetables out of the center of the skillet and pour the sauce mix into the center. Cook until the sauce comes to a boil and thickens. Put the chicken back into the skillet and toss with the sauce and vegetables. Adjust the salt and pepper.
- To serve, put about a half cup of the quinoa on each plate, and top with one cup of the