Shop for great books and yummy baked goods! The Friends & Foundation semi-annual book and bake sale will be held on Saturday, May 2 from 8:30 am to 3:00 pm in the meeting room of your Waukee Public Library. Tax-deductible book sale donations may be dropped off at the library prior to the sale during regular open hours. Please, no textbooks or encyclopedias.
New! Members Only Pre-Sale Book Sale!
Want to get first choice at the Book Sale? Friends & Foundation members may shop on Friday, May 1 from 6:00 – 7:30 pm. Not a member? You may join before you shop! Annual membership is only $7.00 for seniors or full-time students, $15.00 for household, or $25 – $500 for contributing members. Book sale and membership profits are used for programs, materials, and improvements at your library.
Dallas County Toddler Fest
Free event for toddlers and caregivers! Saturday, May 2, 10:00 am to 12:00 pm at the Dallas County Fairgrounds in Adel. Sponsored by 4RKids ECI and the Dallas County Library Association.
May Library Hours & Days Closed
- Monday – Thursday 9:30 am – 8:30 pm
- Friday 9:30 am – 5:30 pm
- Saturday 9:30 am – 4:00 pm
- Sunday 1:00 – 4:00 pm
- Closed Sunday, May 10 – Happy Mother’s Day
- Closed Sunday, May 24 & Monday, May 25 – Memorial Day
- Closed Sunday, May 31 – Sunday hours resume September 13
Children’s Programs – No Programs May 22 – 31
- Drop In DIY Storytime. Families, stop in the library and have a fun do-it-yourself storytime on Saturdays and Sundays! Special books to read and a related activity will be set out for families to do at your convenience.
- Babies & Books. For babies up to 18 months with a caregiver. 15 – 20 minutes of songs, books, and rhymes, followed by playtime. Mondays at 10:00 am.
- For toddlers up to 3 years with a caregiver. 20 minutes of songs, fingerplays, and read-aloud stories, followed by playtime. Tuesdays and Wednesdays at 10:00 am.
- Preschool Storytime. For children 3 to 6 with a caregiver. 30 minutes of read-aloud stories, songs, and rhymes, followed by a related craft. Tuesdays and Wednesdays at 10:00 am and Tuesdays at 2:00 pm.
- Pajama Time. Families with young children of all ages are invited to wear your jammies for bedtime stories, songs, rhymes, and a related craft with Miss Diana. Thursdays at 6:45 pm.
- STEMulate Your Brain. Exciting experiments and activities to develop STEM skills (Science, Technology, Engineering & Math) with Miss Keri. For kids in grades 1 – 3. Thursdays, 6:45 – 7:30 pm.
- Lego Club. All ages of Lego fans – bring your imagination to Waukee Public Library and build fabulous Lego creations with the help of our teen volunteers. Saturday, May 16, 1:00 – 3:00 pm.
Teen Events & Summer Volunteer Training
- Life Sized Hungry Hungry Hippos & Legos, May 6 at 3:30
- Make Your Own Rocket, May 13 at 1:30
- Sand Art, May 20 at 3:30
- Summer Volunteer Training. For teens who will be entering 7-12th grades. Training session required. Training days and times: May 12-15 from 3:30-4:15 pm and May 14 from 7:30-8:15 pm.
- Book Discussion. Like to talk books with interesting people? Try our book discussion group the third Tuesday of each month. Join author Karen Weir-Jimerson for a discussion of her book “So Much Sky.” Tuesday, May 19, 1:00 pm. Books available at the desk. Light refreshments served.
- Writer’s Group. Join other writers to compare, collaborate, critique, and expand your abilities. Tuesday, May 26 at 6:30 pm. Contact Devon for more information, firstname.lastname@example.org or 978-7932.
June Sneak Peek
- Every Hero Has a Story – Sign up for summer reading for all ages June 1 – July 31!
- Scholastic Book Fair – June 1 – 5 – Proceeds help support summer reading program.
Waukee Public Library
950 Warrior lane
Hours: Mon. – Thur.:
9:30 a.m. – 8:30 p.m.
Friday: 9:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.
Saturday: 9:30 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Sunday: 1-4 p.m.
Waukee Public Library – Growing Readers Since 1928