When you’ve got a health or medical question, finding trustworthy sources for answers can be tricky. The Des Moines Public Library has medical research available at dmpl.org. Click on Our Collection>Research>All Resources>Health and Medicine to find the following resources.
- AHFS Consumer Medication Information — This guide is a trusted source and recognized standard for patient drug information, available in both English and Spanish. Published by the American Society of Health-System Pharmacists, AHFS includes more than a thousand drug information monographs written for consumers.
- Health Source: Consumer Edition — This database is the richest collection of consumer health information available to libraries worldwide, providing information on the medical sciences, food sciences and nutrition, childcare, sports medicine and general health. It provides access to nearly 80 full-text consumer health magazines.
- Health Source: Nursing and Academic Edition — This database provides nearly 550 scholarly full-text journals focusing on many medical disciplines. It also features the Lexi-PAL Drug Guide, which covers 1,300 generic drug patient education sheets with more than 4,700 brand names.
- Mayo Clinic — More than 3,300 physicians, scientists and researchers from Mayo Clinic share their expertise. Search for symptoms, diseases and conditions, tests and procedures, drugs and supplements.
- MedlinePlus — This is the National Institutes of Health’s website, produced by the National Library of Medicine. It offers reliable, up-to-date information about diseases, conditions and wellness issues in easy-to-understand language.
Clifford Visits the Library!
Tuesday, February 3, 6:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. AND Friday, February 6, 10:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
Clifford the Big Red Dog is coming to the Des Moines Public Library with his friend, Dan Wardell, from IPTV! Dan will read stories about Clifford’s adventures. Afterwards, children can meet Clifford and take their picture with him.
Crafty Readers for Kids
Hey, kids! Join us on Tuesday afternoons from 4:15 to 5 p.m. for a book and fun activity. Janee has some exciting plans for adventures and lots of creative fun.
College Goal Sunday 2015
Wednesday, February 11, 4:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. AND
Sunday, February 15, 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Need help filing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online? Come to College Goal Sunday where you can receive free help in filing the FAFSA form online from trained counselors. Walk-ins are welcome!
1000 Grand Ave. • 283-4152
Mon. – Wed.: 9 a.m. – 8 p.m.
Thur. – Fri.: 9 a.m. – 6 p.m.
Sunday: 1-5 p.m.
Pick-up window hours:
Mon. – Fri.: 4-6 p.m.