When you’ve got a health or medical question, finding trustworthy sources for answers can be tricky. The Des Moines Public Library has medical research available at www.dmpl.org. Click on Our Collection>Research>All Resources>Health and Medicine to find the following resources.
• AHFS Consumer Medication Information. This guide is a trusted source and recognized standard for patient drug information, available in both English and Spanish. Published by the American Society of Health-System Pharmacists, AHFS includes more than a thousand drug information monographs written for consumers.
• Health Source: Consumer Edition. This database is the richest collection of consumer health information available to libraries worldwide, providing information on the medical sciences, food sciences and nutrition, childcare, sports medicine and general health. It provides access to nearly 80 full-text consumer health magazines.
• Health Source: Nursing and Academic Edition. This database provides nearly 550 scholarly full-text journals focusing on many medical disciplines. It also features the Lexi-PAL Drug Guide, which covers 1,300 generic drug patient education sheets with more than 4,700 brand names.
• Mayo Clinic. More than 3,300 physicians, scientists and researchers from Mayo Clinic share their expertise. Search for symptoms, diseases and conditions, tests and procedures, drugs and supplements.
• MedlinePlus. This is the National Institutes of Health’s website, produced by the National Library of Medicine. It offers reliable, up-to-date information about diseases, conditions and wellness issues in easy-to-understand language.
Summer fun at Central Library
Nurturing a Student’s Vision
Amazing artwork created by central Iowa kindergarten – 12th grade students will be on display at the Central Library. The young artists will be recognized at a reception on Aug. 20 at 6 p.m.
Summer Reading Finale with the Belin Quartet
Aug. 1, 10 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
Join the library’s youth staff and the Belin Quartet for kid-friendly songs, crafts, treats and more. Activities start at 10 a.m. with the concert following at 10:30 a.m. You don’t want to miss it!
Countdown to Kindergarten
Aug. 12, 4-5 p.m.
Children entering kindergarten and their caregivers are welcome to join us for stories and tips to help get ready for the first day of kindergarten.
If you’re looking for your next great summer read, visit www.dmpl.org and look at The Shelf. Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest or Flipboard for all kinds of literary news, author interviews and great books.
1000 Grand Ave. • 283-4152
Mon. – Wed.: 9 a.m. – 8 p.m.
Thur. – Fri.: 9 a.m. – 6 p.m.
Pick-up window hours:
Mon. – Fri.: 4-6 p.m.