Special events are planned to celebrate St. Peter Lutheran Church’s 130th anniversary on Sunday, June 22. A brunch will be served between the church’s 8 a.m. and 10:30 a.m. worship services, and all in the Grimes community are encouraged to attend. Children will be able to participate in outdoor games that morning.
St. Peter Lutheran Church would also like to invite the children of Grimes to join the church for vacation Bible school week from July 7-11 from 6-8:30 p.m. The theme for the church’s VBS this year is “Weird Animals — Where Jesus’ Love is One of a Kind!” You may call the church at 515-986-3077 to register your children for the event, or you may sign them up on the first evening.
Grimes United Methodist Church will host an inter-generational youth and adult learning hour and study every Sunday from June 8 to Aug. 17 from 9:45-10:45 a.m. People are encouraged to attend as many or as few sessions as they please as the group discusses some of the biggest issues in modern faith.
Here is the curriculum for all of the group’s lessons this summer:
• June 8: The Problem of Evil Part 1: Why would a good God allow evil to exist? Why would a good God allow suffering to exist?
• June 15: The Problem of Evil Part 2.
• June 22: The Problem of Evil Part 3.
• June 29: What extra-biblical evidence is there that Jesus existed as a historical person?
• July 6: Off.
• July 13: Who selected what books are in the Bible? How were the books selected?
• July 20: How do Christians determine what parts of the Bible are prescriptive and which are descriptive?
• July 27: What does the Bible say about homosexuality?
• Aug. 3: What major “contradictions” exist in the Bible? And what are the explanations?
• Aug. 10: God’s Existence Part 1: What key arguments are there for and against God’s existence? What are the practical implications of an atheistic worldview?
• Aug. 17: God’s Existence Part 2.