People will make every excuse in the book to not find 30 minutes to do physical activity. Well, you do not have to do all 30 minutes at once; you can break it up into two or three segments.
Here are 10 tips to help:
1. Get out the leash and walk your dog. It’s a great activity for both man and man’s best friend. Your heart – and your pooch – will thank you!
2. Take your child for a brisk walk. It’s an excellent way to get some one-on-one time (or one-on-three, depending on the size of your brood.) Spice up your routine by exploring new neighborhoods or turning your walk into a scavenger hunt.
3. Mall walk. Are you sweating (or shivering) at the idea of walking outside? Take a brisk stroll around your local mall instead. Window shop, people watch and give your heart a workout in a climate-controlled environment.
4. Join a team. Pick an activity you love and round up some friends. Team sports can be fun – and keep you motivated and accountable.
5. Walk and talk. Even if you’re glued to your phone for work calls, you don’t have to be glued to your seat. Make it a habit to talk and walk. Some workplaces have walking paths to make it even easier to burn while you earn.
6. Tune into fitness during TV time. Reject your inner couch potato. Walk, jog in place or use the treadmill at the gym while you watch your favorite 30-minute show.
7. Park and walk. How many times have you circled the parking lot to find “the” spot? Spare yourself the stress and gain more energy by parking far away (or even in a remote lot) and walking farther to your destination.
8. Take the stairs. The elevator may go up – but it doesn’t make your heart rate climb. Take the stairs instead. You may huff and puff at first, but over time, your body will thank you.
9. Dance! Do it in a ballroom, at a club or even your living room. You’ll burn calories and gain a new hobby.
10. Skip the cake, say goodbye to pie and take a walk after dinner. You’ll get a reward that’s sweeter than dessert: more family time.
Stop making excuses and find something that you enjoy to add physical activity to your everyday life.
…Join the Walking Club on Mondays and Wednesdays from June 2 to August 6. Meet at City Hall at 6:00 p.m. The Walking Club is a program that promotes community-wide walking. Here’s your chance to get healthy while walking throughout Bondurant. If our scheduled walking days don’t work for you, then you can also walk on your own and report your progress. The Walking Club makes exercise accessible, fun and no longer intimidating for all men and women residents regardless of their existing level of fitness. The goal is to build a healthy community. This program is for everyone and all ages. You can register anytime for this program.