A: A well-stocked medicine cabinet can help avoid unavoidable trips to the pharmacy or your doctor’s office. In addition to emergency supplies for cuts, scrapes and burns, you should include the products to help lessen the symptoms of common health issues such as headaches, coughs, colds, upset stomach, constipation, etc.
Other recommended items include:
• Adhesive bandages in a variety of shapes and sizes.
• Sterile gauze and medical tape.
• Antiseptics: Hydrogen peroxide and isopropyl alcohol (or rubbing alcohol) which kills bacteria on contact.
• Muscle cream and heating pads.
• Calibrated medicine spoon to ensure accurate medicine dosing.
• Thermometer (non-mercury). Ask your pharmacist for recommendation on which is best for your family.
• Emergency phone numbers for police, fire and rescue and the local poison control center
To ensure the maximum effectiveness of products, store these in a dark, cool place like a kitchen cabinet instead of the bathroom which is often high in humidity.
Information provided by Jennifer Meurer, Pharm.D., Medicap Pharmacy, 107 N.E. Delaware, Suite 6, 964-8550.