10. It’s easy to find! Bondurant holds a market the second and fourth Wednesday of the month from May to October. The Bondurant Fire Department Association has moved the location to the Brick Street Market and Cafe. Check it out!
9. It’s not just fruits and vegetables. The farmers market has more to offer than just food. Support local vendors by purchasing their crafts, clothes, bags, and more!
8. You can try new foods! You can find less common fruits and vegetables at farmers markets. Do not hesitate to ask the farmer questions about the fruit or vegetable; they are very knowledgeable and can answer any question you may have.
7. Farmers often have good recommendations on ways to prepare their products. They may be willing to share recipes, or you can check out recipes online.
6. Buy foods and see how they fit with ChooseMyPlate. Build a healthy plate from items you purchase at the market. You should be able to find something for each part of your healthy plate.
5. Farmers markets can be important anchors for vibrant communities. This is a great place to socialize with your community and meet local farmers. Supporting your local market strengthens your community.
4. It’s a great way to get your kids involved. Use the farmers market as an educational experience for your kids. Let them pick out foods, and have them help prepare them as a meal or a snack.
3. Fresh fruit and vegetables are full of antioxidants and phytonutrients. Both are essential in building a healthy lifestyle.
2. Shopping at farmers markets supports your local farmers and keeps the money you spend closer to your neighborhood. This helps your local farmers and helps save local farmland. Help your local farmers become successful farmers.
1. Freshly picked ripe food is at its peak in flavor and nutrition. A double bonus!
The Bondurant’s Farmers Market begins next Wednesday, May 14 from 5:00-7:00 p.m. Go check it out!
For more information, please visit http://www.nutrition.gov/farmers-markets.