The Norwalk Easter Public Library’s annual Summer Reading Program starts Saturday, June 7 with a kick-off party 9:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. Activities include registration, inflatables, crafts, activities and more. The Norwalk Lions Club will serve lunch for attendees, 10:30 a.m. – 1 p.m. This year’s summer reading themes relate to science: Babies to fifth grade: Fizz, Boom, READ; Teens: Spark a Reaction; and Adults: Literary Elements. Take a sneak peak at some of our special programs below!
• “Colorful Chemistry” by the Grout Museum on June 10 at 1 p.m. Discover reactions between several solutions as we explore the colorful, and sometimes surprising, world of chemical reactions.
• Magician Rick Eugene, Thursday, June 12 at 1 p.m. If you love magic tricks, join us.
• “Weird Science” by Jester Puppets on Monday, June 16, 11 a.m. With human-sized puppets and unstoppable imagination, this show promises to be most memorable.
• “Shocking Developments” by the Annette Nature Center on Monday, June 23, 1 p.m. Learn about the basics of electricity: types, origins, and uses. Conduct experiments to learn more about how it interacts with the environment and where/how it can be created.
• “Show and Tell” by the Blank Park Zoo, on Wednesday, June 25 at 1 p.m Meet and learn about three visiting animals from the Blank Park Zoo staff, and find out more during the question and answer session.
• “Snakes Alive” with Herpetologist Tom Kessenich, on Monday, July 7 at 3 p.m. Interact “up close and personal,” and discover first-hand the fascinating world of reptiles — their role in nature and caring for them in captivity. You may get to touch, hold and even talk to these friendly “critters.”.
• “Author Luncheons.” Adults are invited to join us for lunch with three authors in June. On Friday the 13th, Terry Fisk will talk about his book, “The Iowa Road Guide to Haunted Locations.” Local author Mike Pace will be here June 20, with his book, “Dreams and Detours.” Another local author, Eric E. McClure, will talk about the first two books of his fantasy trilogy, “Touch of Life” and “New Found Dream” on June 27. Door prize drawings. Books will be available for sale and for signing. Lunch provided with a $2 per person reservation fee, returned upon admittance.
• “Ghostbusters” interactive movie for adults and teens (middle school and older). Friday, June 20 at 6:30 p.m. Come dressed as your favorite Ghostbuster character (optional). Best costume prize. Props for interacting with the movie are provided. Door prize drawings and refreshments.
Exhibits – Self-directed Tours. June 7 – 20. Periodic Tables of…Enjoy whimsical Periodical Tables. Make your own and add to the display in the library. June 23 – July 5: Enjoy the exhibit on Warren County Parks.
Norwalk Easter Library
1051 North Ave.
Mon. – Thur.: 10 a.m. – 8 p.m.
Fri. – Sat.: 10 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Sunday: 1 – 5 p.m.