ANKENY, Iowa (Mar 4, 2014) – In an effort to remind pet owners to license their animals, the City of Ankeny has designated March 2014 as Pet License Renewal Month in Ankeny. The deadline to register cats and dogs for 2014 is Monday, March 31. “There are several good reasons for licensing your pets with the City of Ankeny,” said City Clerk, Pam DeMouth. “Primary among them is that licensed animals assure the community that the pet has been properly vaccinated and is protected from rabies. It’s a public health concern both for animals and for people.” Other reasons to license your animals with the City of Ankeny
- Licensing pets is a form of insurance, enabling animal control to quickly identify and return lost animals.
- Confident your pet will never leave your property? Never say never. Circumstances occur that cause pets to become misplaced. Natural disasters, aberrant weather, fireworks, etc.
- If your pet is micro-chipped, licensing can help us find them even faster. We can note the chip number along with your registration.
- The cost of a license is less than the penalty for being caught without one. Owners who fail to license their pets could be fined $50 for the first offense and $100 for subsequent offenses.
- Without a license, dog owners can’t take advantage of the Ankeny Dog Park.
- It’s the responsible thing to do for your pets and the community.
Ankeny residents can obtain licenses in four convenient locations
- City Hall – 410 West 1st Street, Monday through Friday, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm
- Parks and Recreation Office – 210 South Ankeny Blvd., Monday through Friday, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm
- Hy-Vee North – 410 North Ankeny Blvd, Customer Service Desk, 7:00 am to 10:00 pm
- Prairie Trail Hy-Vee – 2510 SW State Street, Customer Service Desk, 7:00 am to 10:00 pm
The fee to license a pet is $10.00 for each animal. Print off your application online and submit it with a current rabies vaccination certificate to any of these four locations. If you have questions, please contact the City Clerk’s Office at 515-965-6405.
Ankeny, Iowa is bringing it all together. As one of the fastest-growing cities in the Midwest, Ankeny has a current population of almost 50,000. Incorporated in 1903, the city is located just north of Des Moines, Iowa’s capital city. Ankeny offers an enviable quality of life, a business friendly environment, numerous recreational and cultural amenities, access to higher learning and an active and engaged citizenry.