You made the big decision to bring a furry friend into your home. The next step is making the transition for your new pooch and your family a smooth one. Here are some tips to ensure your pup’s arrival goes well.
• Be prepared. Make sure you have everything you need before bringing Fido home. You will need a collar, leash, dog food, water and food bowls, treats and toys. You will also want to purchase an identification tag after choosing your pet’s name.
• Make a trip to your veterinarian. You should make an appointment for a physical exam and any necessary shots within the first week of having your pet.
• Establish order. Dogs thrive in a pack with a strong leader. Be consistent with training and reward your pooch when it does something right.
• Designated living area. Dogs enjoy having their own space where they can relax, sleep and play whether it is a crate, bed or portion of a small room. It also makes housetraining and training easier and helps your pet transition to their new environment.
• Have fun. Dogs love being physically active and social. Your pet will appreciate getting out with the family. Allowing it to release some energy will also help it adjust to its new life.
It is always exciting when a new furry friend joins the family. Follow some of these simple tips to ensure that Fido coming home is a happy and healthy experience for everyone.
Information provided by Carrie Bonnett, owner, Downtown Doggy Daycare, 724 Scott St., Des Moines, 288-0957.