MAROONS SUPPORTING MAROONS
UPCOMING DCHS 2013 Fall SPORTING EVENTS
** Indicates special event for that sport – please try to attend to show Maroon Support
Thursday, November 14, 2013
10:00 AM Volleyball State Tournament 5A Semifinal vs. Urbandale @ US Cellular Center – Court One – Cedar Rapids
Friday, November 15, 2013
10:00 AM Volleyball – State Tournament Finals 5A @ US Cellular Center Court – Cedar Rapids
7:06 PM DCHS vs. Valley Tigers – Football State Tournament Semi-finals TBA @ UNI – Dome – “WHITE OUT”
Friday, November 22, 2013
7:06 PM Football Class 4A Championship @ UNI – Dome
All sports (9th–varsity) schedules at www.dowlingcatholic.org under the Activities-Athletics section
DCHS 2013 FALL SPORTS SEASON NEWS
#9 ranked DCHS upset #1 Ankeny Hawks in the class 5-A quarterfinals 25- 17, 11- 25, 25-19, 18-25, 18-16! This was the first state tournament win for the DCHS program. Haley Shimon and Jessi Henter pounded in 11 kills and sophomore Mykal Sadler tossed in 10. Tessa Mendoza contributed 38 assists. Anna Wisnieski scooped out 29 digs. Dowling put up a wall of 22 blocks compared to Ankeny’s 7! Dowling girls head back east to the US Cellular Center to take on cross town metro rival #4 ranked Urbandale at 10 am this Thursday. The fans were strong in numbers and volume -Join them Thursday in the Maroon Magic and History!
Dowling defense lead the way to a 14-9 victory over Waukee in a quarterfinal game in which the winner goes to the Dome. Playing in a very physical game, the maroon defense only gave up 3 field goals and scored on a 90-yard nifty punt return by Luke DeVenney. He followed his key blocks down the sideline for a key touchdown. Dowling led 14-0 after the touchdown and never scored again. Although the offense moved the ball behind quarterback, Ryan Boyle’s 147 yards rushing, the maroons had 3 fumbles in which the defense had to step up. They responded holding Waukee to a total offense of 150 yards and had 3 sacks.
Dowling improved to 12-0 and play the the Valley Tigers Friday night, November 8th, at 7:00 P.M. in the UNI dome in Cedar Falls. The winner will play in the championship game on November 15th.
Congratulations to both the Maroon and Silver Competition Cheer Squads for their 2nd place finishes in the Time-Out Division (Maroon) and Cheer/Dance Division (Silver) at the Iowa Cheer State Competition on Saturday, November 2. This is a proud and ground-breaking moment in the history of Dowling Catholic High School Cheerleading as it is the very FIRST time any cheer team from Dowling Catholic High School has placed in a State Competition. For both teams to be State runner-ups is incredibly impressive. Thank you to all the fans that came to show their support.
The Maroon Competition Squad includes: Chelsea Albaugh, Claire Carenza, Taylor Dworek, Margaret Engel, Hannah Farley, Hannah Fuller, Kristen Krueger, Erynn Laughlin, Anna Lensing, Jocelyn Liston, Molly McIlhon, Jessica McKee-Thomerson, Maren Nielsen, Olivia Nielsen, Caitlyn Peterson, Jennifer Sutor, Kristin Sutor and Meghan Williams
The Silver Competition Squad includes: Alex Andrews, Gaby Fernandez, Emily Flood, Abi Goeser, Elle Grote, Alyssa Hill, Savannah Ingham, Madeline Jameson, Megan Johnson, Ana Laughrun, Kassi Manternach, Madalyn Mauro, Maggie O’Hara, Emma Pagano, Brooke Raley and Hannah Rush. The cheer coaches are grateful for all the hard work from both the Maroon and Silver Competition Squads and button-busting proud of every single one of the ladies!
- DCHS ATHLETES IN THE NEWS – MAROON PRIDE!
- The Missouri Valley Conference announced its 2013 women’s soccer all-conference teams this week. DCHS alum – Caitlyn Fuller was selected as an all-conference honorable mention. As a junior midfielder Caitlyn Fuller played in 14 games for the Panthers, collecting 13 starts. Fuller scored 2 goals this season — both game winners. In total Fuller fired 8 shots in 2013 with 5 of them on goal. Dowling Pride – Congrats Caitlyn!!
- Follow DCHS alum – Ben Avery and the #6 nationally ranked and 2013 Iowa Conference Champions Loras Men’s soccer team as they make their way for the 2013 NCAA Div. 3 Men’s National Soccer Championship beginning Nov 17. http://www.duhawks.com/sport/0/7.php
- Follow DCHS alum – Madi Avery and the Loras Women’s ( 2013 Iowa Conference Champions) soccer team as they make their way for the 2013 Women’s NCAA Div. 3 Nat. Soccer Championship beginning Nov 15 http://www.duhawks.com/sport/0/15.php
- Follow DCHS alums – Emma Harmeyer and Anne Buscher and the Wartburg Women’s Volleyball team (2013 Iowa Conference Champions) as they make their bid for the 2013 Div. 3 National Volleyball Championship Nov 14
Follow DCHS alum – Connor Bravard and the #3 nationally ranked Iowa Western Football team (2013 Midwest Football Conference Champions) as they make their way for the 2013 Graphic Edge Bowl Championship Dec 8 at the UNI Dome in Cedar Falls. http://athletics.iwcc.edu/sports/news.asp?Sport=football&Num=1432
- Dowling Soccer Club Select Soccer Meeting
When: December 17, 2013
Time: 7:00 pm
Where: Dowling Cafeteria
Notes: We will discuss Select Soccer opportunities for U12, U14, U16, and U18 Boys and Girls teams for the Fall 2014 and Spring 2015 Seasons.
- Performance Soccer Winter Training 2013
High School Boys
Where- SkateWest Mondays 8:00- 9:30pm
Dates- 1st session- Jan. 6, 13, 20, 27, Feb. 3.
2nd session- Feb. 10, 17, 24, March 3, 10.
Cost- $105.00 per session
** Both sessions for $190.00
High School Girls
Where- SkateWest Wednesdays 4:30 – 6:30pm
Dates- 1st session- Jan. 8, 15, 22, 29, Feb. 5.
2nd session- Feb. 12, 19, 26, March 5, 12.
Cost- $105.00 per session
** Both sessions for $190.00
- DCHS Student Athletes & Parents:
We are preparing for the final stage of the athletic department’s fundraiser with the stadium seats at ISU’s Jack Trice Stadium. In August, we had both students and parents volunteer to install a record number of stadium seats in the ISU football stadium. Throughout the football season, again students and parents volunteered to assist during each home game to manage the game-day rental seats. Now is your chance to volunteer to help remove and prep the seats for storage.
Below is the link to volunteer for the seat removal, scheduled for Sunday, November 24.
Students can earn up to 3 service hours. However, if they volunteered in August and received Christian Service Hours, the 3 hours in November will likely not count for Christian Service Hours. So, the hours can be counted for either Christian Service Hours (count toward the 10 needed per semester for religion class) or can count toward additional service hours students can earn to be eligible for the service cord at graduation.
We are hoping that our Freshman athletes are ready and willing– since they were not able to help with the August set-up.
Here is a summary of the day/volunteer opportunities:
Adult volunteers are needed, both those who are handy with a drill and others willing to supervise and direct the students.
Adult volunteers willing to bring a drill with 13 mm socket & a 1/2 inch wrench are asked to arrive at Jack Trice Stadium at 8:00 am. The volunteers will prep for the removal prior to large group arrival.
Adult volunteers assisting in the supervision and directing the work of the students are asked to arrive at Jack Trice Stadium (South End Zone entrance) no later than 11:45 am.
Student volunteers are needed to work on the removal from 12:00 pm- 4:00 pm.
There will be 2 school busses available for those needing transportation to Ames. Students are asked to load the bus at DCHS at 11:00 am, and will depart by 11:15. The bus will load for the return at 4:00 pm, leaving Ames at 4:15, returning to DCHS approximately 4:45 pm.
Student volunteers who will have their own transportation to Ames (and back to DSM) are asked to report to the South End Zone by 11:45 am.
There will be water available for alll volunteers, and pizza provided at the end of the day. Please come prepared with comfortable shoes and weather-appropriate dress (gloves, stocking hat, scarf, etc.)
The link to sign up (both above & below) has the categories available as needed for both student and adult volunteers. http://vols.pt/viiazc
If you have questions, contact Gary Steenblock at email@example.com
- 2014 Middle School Weight Training Dowling Catholic High School will again offer our weight training readiness program. We have changed some of the format to entice more female athlete participation. The girls will work separately from the boys, although they are listed at the same time. Our readiness program is designed to teach safety, spotting and appropriate lifting techniques. We move slowly through the program in order to emphasize technique and safety. It is very important that future Dowling Catholic athletes learn our way of teaching and techniques in the way that we teach. All students are required to graduate from our readiness program before they are allowed to participate in our regular training program that many of our high school athletes participate in. Lifting days – Monday & Thursday Times: 6:00 – 7:00 PM – 8th grade boys/All 7/8 girls 7:15 – 8:15 PM – 7th grade boys Dates: Begins Monday – January 13th , 2014 Ends Thursday – March 27th , 2014 No weight program Feb 20th and over Spring Break – March 17th & 20th Cost: $80 Questions: Contact Adam Jack – firstname.lastname@example.org
Please click on the link below to begin the registration process:
- Have You Joined The Dowling Club Yet?
What is the Dowling Club??? The Dowling Club (Established in 1941), and the Maroon Athletic Booster Club (Reorganized in 2005) were joined to create the Dowling Club beginning in the 2011-2012 school year. In 2012-2013, a partnership was formed with the existing ‘Maroon Crew, Too to work under one umbrella in the promotion of Dowling Catholic Athletics. Dowling Club helps support athletics in several ways that are not covered under tuition or participation fees (athletic Fees take care of about 40% of an athlete’s participation cost in a spot) for example; coach salaries, banquets, transportation/lodging, senior night, uniforms, ice machines, scoreboards, volleyball standard backboards, blocking sleds, soccer goals, batting cage updates, 5 man football blocking sled, tennis wind screens, softball refrigerator, gas grill, $25,000 to sports complex, gym banners, mat rack, weight room sound system, and soccer goals/net. This is why Dowling Club needs YOU! There are several levels of membership with various benefits, one to fit everyone’s abilities.
Presidents Club – $500, Dowling Spirit – $300, Maroon and White – $150, Senior Maroon – $75, Youth – $60,
Maroon Magic – any $ amount is welcome
Contact Mary Pick @ email@example.com for membership information
- LIVE SPORTS UPDATES VIA TWITTER
Follow Maroon Crew @MaroonCrew and stay up to date with live coverage of DCHS Sporting events
- Maroon Crew Too Jewelry is available for all sports at ANY time of the year. There are no deadlines and you can even order when your sport is out-of-season. www.studiovirtu.com Please email Jennifer Richter at firstname.lastname@example.org for more info and to order.
- For parents that don’t have the gift of a photographer’s eye, here are 2 great websites to check out:
John Anderson’s: http://eyeowanphoto.smugmug.com/Sports
Father Kirby’s: www.jkirby.photostockplus.com
Follow Maroon Crew for updates about big games & special events on Twitter https://twitter.com/MaroonCrew
Follow Maroon Crew for updates about big games & special events on Facebook
by searching Dowling Catholic Maroon Crew, Too
Keep Up With DCHS Maroon Crew Sports News at http://westdesmoines.patch.com/
Maroon Crew 2013 Fall Sports News Reporters
Pat Hunter – Coordinator
Nancy Sutor – Cheerleading
Lindsay Amadeo – Boys Cross Country
Father Kirby – Girls Cross Country
Tom Stein – Varsity Football
Tara Cooper – Sophomore Football
Debbie Sheehy – Freshman Football
Bernie/Kathleen Gradoville – Varsity Boys Golf
Carol Westercamp – Freshman Boys Golf
Tom Delahunt – Girls Swimming
Anne Henter – Girls Volleyball
Joan Bowman – Dance