Des Moines, IA – Windsor Heights Lutheran Church will break ground on a $4 million expansion to its facilities on Sunday, October 20, at noon, on the west side of the church located at 1240 66th Street in Windsor Heights. In addition to church members and pastors Chris Olkiewicz and Robin Coughennower, the ceremony is open to the public and will also be attended by Diana Willits, Windsor Heights Mayor pro tem and Steve Peterson, Windsor Heights Chamber of Commerce vice president.
Construction is expected to continue through summer 2014, during which time the facility will still be in use. A public re-dedication is planned upon project completion.
Windsor Heights Lutheran Church expects this expansion to improve its ability to serve the community and offer additional programs built upon its mission statement, “Invite + Grow + Serve”.
The new facility will include a 300+ seat multipurpose room, a commercial grade kitchen, a large atrium area, a new child-care area, high-efficiency heating and cooling, high efficiency windows, and remodeling to existing worship and office spaces.
Community meetings with neighbors and businesses have already taken place, and project updates will continue through the completion of the project in summer 2014.
The general contractor for the project, Miller Architects and Builders, of St. Cloud, MN, will continue to work in concert with Windsor Heights Lutheran’s Facilities Design Team throughout the construction process.About Windsor Heights Lutheran Church Windsor Heights Lutheran Church has been serving the Des Moines area at this location since August 10, 1947. It is a member congregation of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America. For more information, please visit www.WHLC.org