A: Surveys show that Americans suffer more than a billion colds and flu each year. Fortunately, there are some simple tips to help avoid becoming one of those statistics.
• Moderate exercise (45 minutes a day, five times per week): Proven immune booster that can decrease the risk by a third.
• Healthy foods: Vitamins and minerals enhance immune response and are essential building blocks of healthy cells.
• Wash hands for 30 seconds and avoid touching your nose, mouth and eyes where germs can easily attack the mucus membranes.
• Avoid alcohol and smoke: Both inhibit cells that sweep germs out of the nose and airways.
• Adequate sleep and reduced stress: High stress and lack of sleep compromise the immune response.
• Chiropractic care: Optimal nervous system function is essential for proper immune system reaction.
Information provided by Jodi K. Kuhse D.C., D.I.C.C.P., Luellen Chiropractic, 608 Greene St., Suite C, 993-1117.