A: Knowing what to ask can prove mind boggling, and making this decision is perhaps the most important one you will have to make in life. Below you will find suggestions on how to choose the best long-term care home and make this transition easier for everyone.
• Involve your loved one in the process if he or she is able. Where does he or she want to live? Is it important to remain near family/friends?
• Is assisted living or a long-term care home the best choice?
• Does the facility have odors? Is it clean, updated and welcoming?
• Are staff friendly? Did they offer to help you and give you a tour?
• What are the staffing patterns?
• Does the home practice Person Directed Care? Does the facility allow residents to bring their own chair and other personal items from home?
• Do physicians visit the facility?
• Do some events include family and friends? Events outside the home that allow residents to remain a part of their community?
• What types of payment are accepted? Medicare, Medicaid, private insurance, private pay?
It is impossible to think of everything when you first begin this journey. Jot down your questions as they come to mind and call the facilities you are interested in for answers. If you have questions on placement in long-term care, feel free to call Oakwood Care Center at 641-357-5244. We’ll be glad to help.
Information provided by Michelle Anderson, marketing coordinator, Oakwood Care Center, 400 Highway 18 West, Clear Lake, 641-357-5244.