A: It’s back-to-school time. While kids are busy enjoying the last few weeks of summer vacation, parents can start preparing with these tips for starting the school year off right!
• If your child needs a physical before starting school, contact your health care provider as soon as possible to schedule an appointment. Be sure to bring up any questions or concerns you have about your child starting or returning to school.
• Establish a daily routine so your child becomes familiar with a regular schedule. Your child’s morning routine may include making the bed, eating breakfast and brushing his or her teeth. In the evening, set aside time for homework and determine a regular bed time. Practice the routine for one week before school begins.
• Designate an area in your home for your child to study and keep his or her school supplies, books and backpack. Make sure the area is organized and free from distractions.
• Stock up on healthy after-school snacks, such as apples, carrot sticks and low-fat yogurt.
• Talk to your child about any worries and questions he or she may have about going to school. Focus on the positive aspects of going to school, such as meeting new friends.
Information provided by Mercy Family Care – Perry, 616 10th St., 465-2575.