Linwood Park Cemetery was founded on June 9, 1866. The original land for the cemetery was purchased from Alexander McFarland, G. W. Crooks, and John A. Hull and lies west of Honey Creek at the northeast end of the present-day cemetery. Prior to its founding there were earlier burials in the cemetery, including that of Lydia Lockwood on Oct. 14, 1855.
By 1879, more space was needed and additional land was purchased. On July 28, 1880, lots 341 and 372 were platted. An additional section, consisting of lots 1 through 23, located along the east line of the old Chicago and Northwestern Railroad line, was added on Nov. 18, 1892. The original land plat and the two additions comprise the west division. Lots 24 through 61, lying south of the original plat (the Stevens addition) were added on or about the same time.
On July 25, 1895, Charles Mason, A. J. Barkley, D. F. Goodykoontz, E. E. Chandler and John L. Goeppinger formed the East Linwood Cemetery Association and purchased land east of Honey Creek to create a separate cemetery. The superintendent of Lakeside Cemetery in Minneapolis, Mr. Hobart, landscaped the new cemetery.
Linwood Park Cemetery and East Linwood Cemetery operated independently until July 19, 1912, when they were joined together under the administration of the Linwood Park Cemetery Association. Official sanction for the administration of the combined cemeteries was given to the Association by the City Council, Ordinance Number 434. The ordinance provided for a “potter’s field” and defined the boundaries of the cemetery from approximately the Milwaukee Railroad right of way on the north and between Carroll Street on the east and Harrison Street on the west, if the two streets were extended through the cemetery area.
On Nov. 22, 1939, the council authorized the addition of another section to the cemetery. An additional 12 acres of land was added south of the original East Linwood Section, on Oct. 1, 1963. This section was dived into eight gardens and is known as the Linwood Garden Section. Both memorial and monument sections are contained in this section. Gardens I and IV are memorial sections; Section K is a monument section, and Garden VII is a cremation section. Gardens II, V and VI are not laid out.
Cemetery operations were taken over by the City of Boone on July 1, 1992. By the early 21st century there were between 14,000 and 15,000 burials within Linwood Park Cemetery. The cemetery covers 75 acres, and burials may still take place in all sections. Unlike many cemeteries, Linwood burials are not all laid in the same direction.