Wednesday, April 14, 2021

Join our email blast

Are you properly covered?

Posted March 20, 2013 in Advice Column

Most states require drivers to have auto insurance — but how do you know if you’re getting the right type of coverage for your needs?

Your first step is to fulfill your state’s and lender’s minimum requirements. A call to your state’s insurance commissioner’s office can get you started. Then, familiarize yourself with the different types of insurance and what each covers. These typically include:

Bodily injury liability covers injuries, lost wages, pain and suffering and other damage you might cause to other drivers, passengers and/or pedestrians. It also covers court and legal fees.

Rental reimbursement will pay for a rental vehicle if your car is not drivable after an accident.

Collision provides coverage for damage inflicted to your vehicle after a rollover or accident with another car or object. Coverage kicks in after a policyholder meets his or her deductible*.

Comprehensive provides coverage for damage to your vehicle after a non-vehicle or non-rollover incident, such as theft or weather damage. This coverage typically requires a deductible.

Emergency road service can cover expenses related to a breakdown, including towing.

Medical payments and personal injury protection offers compensation for medical expenses, lost wages and even funerals if you or other covered persons* are injured in a vehicle-related accident.

Property damage liability covers damage you cause to another individual’s property while driving. This also covers court costs and legal expenses.

Uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage can provide reimbursement if you’re involved in an accident with a driver who doesn’t have sufficient liability insurance — or any at all.

Terms to know
• Premium: Payment you make to your insurance company for coverage.

•    Deductible: The amount you pay before your insurance company pays the rest. Higher deductibles equal lower premiums; conversely, lower deductibles equal higher premiums.

•    Covered persons: Policies generally cover the policyholder, their spouse, other relatives living in the home and individuals driving the policyholder’s vehicle with their permission.

For a complete insurance review of your auto, home and life policies as well as long-term care and retirement options, please give us a call at Jerry Goebel State Farm Agency. We would be glad to review your current coverages to make sure you are getting all the discounts that apply but, more importantly, to make sure that you and your family are properly protected.

Information provided by Jerry Goebel, State Farm Insurance, 1209 Superior St., Webster City. For more information, call 515-832-4066.

Post a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *