A: The No. 1 New Year’s resolution is the United States is weight loss. There are many fad diets in the media, but most of these are not a healthy way to lose weight and keep it off. Fad diets typically claim to help you lose weight very quickly. Remember, it took time for you to gain unwanted weight and it will take time to lose it.
Fad diets may also:
• Promise that you can lose weight and keep it off without giving up “fatty” foods or exercising on a regular basis. If a diet plan or product sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
• Base claims on “before and after” photos.
• Offer testimonials from clients or “experts” in weight loss, science or nutrition. Remember that these people are probably being paid to advertise the diet plan or product.
• Draw simple conclusions from complex medical research.
• Limit your food choices and don’t encourage you to get balanced nutrition by eating a variety of foods.
• Require you to spend a lot of money on things like seminars, pills or prepackaged meals in order for the plan to work.
If you are a patient at Grimes Family Physicians, we offer dietary counseling to help with weight loss. Please contact us if you would like to hear more information on this program.
Information provided by Grimes Family Physicians, 101 S.E. Destination Drive, 986-4524.