In January 2013, Johnston High School students and staff will start the semester using iPads in all classes. From English to biology, the tap-touch-swipe method of learning propels Johnston students to the forefront of 21st Century skills.
Since approval of initiative in late spring 2012, district technology staff and educators have been busy preparing for the 1:1 launch. If high school teachers weren’t a part of the pilot program last year, the spring 2013 semester may look completely different than it has in years past.
To ease the transition, district technology experts have created an implementation plan that involves structured process areas, such as curriculum and instruction goals, hardware, software and app acquisitions, professional development, policy and procedure review (student internet policy, filtering, sanctions & consequences), and program evaluation and adjustments.
District technology staff will kick off the 1:1 initiative with a launch event in January. Students will be joined by their parent/s for an informative session about the digital learning environment and the deployment of the iPad mobile devices. During the launch event, parents/guardians, and students will read and sign the Student Technology Responsible Use Policy and the Digital Learning Environment iPad Agreement. These signed forms will be collected before the iPad is issued to the student at the launch event.
- Monday, January 7 – Seniors
- Tuesday, January 8 – Juniors
- Wednesday, January 9 – Make up for Junior and Seniors 4:30-6:00 pm
- Thursday, January 10 – Sophomores
- Saturday, January 11 – Make up (8:30-10:00 am)
Note: Families of multiple students, go with the oldest students’ session.
Session times are:
- Session 1: 5:00- 6:30 pm
- Session 2: 6:30- 8:00 pm
Session topics include:
- Vision, goals, structure of event, digital citizenship
- Technology Policy, Responsible Use Agreement – parents and students sign agreement
- iPad Device Care, Processes
- Digital Safety
- iPad End of School Year Collection
- Setting up Device, enrolling device in JCSD network management system
If you have questions regarding the launch event or 1:1 initiative, please contact Ann Wiley, Instructional Technology Coordinator for Johnston schools, at 515-278-0470 or email her, firstname.lastname@example.org.