Stories, crafts, puppets, playtime and more… that’s what little readers can find at the library.
The Jefferson Public Library strives to create a warm, inviting and fun environment for its youngest patrons. Programs are offered to encourage children to develop a love of reading, books, learning and the library. That’s why Ready Readers Story Time is so important. It gets children, 3 to 6 years old, excited about books and reading and encourages the development of essential pre-reading skills. Books offer a wide variety of invitations to look, listen, touch, move and communicate.
There are six skills your child needs to learn to read are as follows:
• Print motivation is a child’s interest and enjoyment of books. Reading to your child 15 minutes a day promotes an interest in reading.
• Print awareness is a child’s awareness in noticing print, how to handle a book and understanding how to follow the words on a page.
• Letter knowledge is learning to name letters and knowing they have sounds and recognizing that letters are everywhere. As you read, point to words on the page of a book.
• Phonological awareness is the ability to hear and play with smaller sounds in words. Repetition is important. This is how children learn best.
• Narrative skills are the ability to describe things and events and to tell stories. Have your child retell the story.
• Vocabulary is knowing the names of things. Teach your child the specific names of things.
Ready Readers Story Time will be held in three-month sessions: September – November, January – March and May – July from 10 – 11 a.m. on Tuesdays. Children must have a parent or responsible caregiver stay in the building until the conclusion of the program. Books, crafts, games, puppets, flannel boards, music, movement, cut and tell stories, colors, numbers and alphabet recognition and much more await your child at Ready Readers Story Time.
For more information, contact the Jefferson Public Library Children’s Department at 515-386-4415.Jefferson Public Library
200 West Lincoln Way
386-2835 Adult Dept
386-4415 Children’s Dept
Mon. and Wed.: 1 – 8 p.m.
Tues. and Thurs.:
11 a.m. – 8 p.m.
Friday: 1 – 5:30 p.m.
Saturday: 9 a.m. – 1 p.m.